For the last several hours, I have been tuned into internet radio stream KSL from Salt Lake City, listening to the many call-in comments and programs honoring our beloved Prophet, Gordon B. Hinckley at his passing Sunday evening, January 27, 2008.
I learned the news in the early afternoon Monday, in Seoul, about 2 hours after his death occurred. Several friends concurrently sent emails or chatted briefly on MSN IM to make sure I got the sad news, and I thank them for thinking of us over here at such a tender time.
A few words on this blog cannot suffice to summarize the gigantic impact of Pres. Hinckley on my life. I can hardly remember the years (over 20 years ago) that he was not a First Presidency member. Before that, as long as I have been an LDS member, he served as an apostle. And long before that, he was busy serving as a well-loved and talented leader and employee of the church.
His influence has been worldwide in so many areas, and the one that has meant the most to me is the remarkable, ambitious temple-building program at the turn of the millenium. Simply amazing. We have attended and visited many of those temples around the world, and I always think appreciatively of President Hinckley's foresight in planning and supporting their construction, which has brought eternal blessings to millions of people on most of the earth's continents.
At the press conference held in March 1995 when Pres. Hinckley began his service as the Prophet, he was asked by a reporter what advice he would give to working mothers. He responded that all of us, in whatever circumstances we find ourselves, just need "to do the best you can."
That is acceptable to the Lord....and it has helped me through many difficult days since that time.
I feel privileged to have lived so many years of my adult life, growing under the inspirational leadership of Pres. Hinckley. I have abundant memories of him to cherish, and look forward to the opportunity to reunite in the coming life. "God be with you [and us]till we meet again...."



No comments:
Post a Comment