Friday, May 29, 2009

What a week!

This past week was a weird one. Last Saturday we heard about the suicide of South Korea's most recent former president, and then we heard 2 days later about North Korea's underground nuclear bomb test...followed by 2 more nukes in missile form, shot toward Japan, and today I heard of one more nuke test of another type. My head is spinning. Today was the funeral for President Roh. He killed himself to escape the consequences of his actions (or his family's actions) in an alleged bribery scandal involving millions of dollars. I don't know all the complicated details, but I know that most of the Koreans I have spoken with this week don't think much of a man who would wimp out under fire, and leave his wife and children to deal with the dirt.
I sound a bit cynical, I know. I think I have had enough of this scene for awhile. I never intended to live in a place that could be a prime target for a nuclear attack. Time to switch to Plan B, I guess. I am arranging to leave in the next couple weeks for a summer respite in the good ol' USA. Yes, we have our major and minor issues in America. No doubt about it. But I need some familiar problems to deal with rather than strange stuff from another dimension. Sooo, I think I'll be hunkering down in Davis County for a bit, and play Gramma awhile. I need more practice with that role, anyway. (The truth is, I have been planning all along to get there in June, but current events from this culture are clarifying my focus and hurrying my plans a whole bunch this week!)

1 comment:

Katie Webb said...

I had heard about the suicide but didn't know why. Interesting. I'm glad you get to spend time as gramma. That a good place to be! The US of A is so incredibly different, in good and bad ways, but its home and its such a good feeling to be there.