




This was the year of at least one interesting and fun discovery---We learned that there are enough Irish and Irish-loving folks hanging out in Seoul, to justify a big green parade and party for St. Patrick's Day! We decided to see for ourselves, after I met (at SFS British school) the day before, Lillian Murphy,the wife of the Irish Ambassador to Korea. We joined all the thousands of others wearin' the green, to celebrate long-awaited Spring, and Ireland, far from the US or the Emerald Isle. Koreans seem to love taking on whatever festival they can find, if it promotes business!
And, I decided to have a St. Patrick's Day dinner with a couple of my favorite families living here, so I made the corned beef and cabbage dinner, and a big pot of beef stew, some Irish soda bread muffins, and put on the Celtic music. Daniel had just returned the week before, from a visit to Ireland and England, and Michael was celebrating his 25th birthday the same day. I delivered Michael in 1983 on St. Patrick's Day in Stuttgart, Germany, and if he hadn't decided to arrive that day, Norm and I would have been celebrating St. Paddy's day at our neighbor's house in Heilbronn.



No comments:
Post a Comment